Okay now that the New year is starting, let me just say that I needed a new boost now that February is coming on. After all I don’t want to lose my momentum so early on in the year, right?
So for those of us with ‘being more healthy’ as part of the New Years Resolution. Here are 5 snack/drink ideas for those cravings that hits you from nowhere – whether it’s before you sleep or a right before lunch.
Without further ado, here are 5 alternative healthy snack that won’t break your health boost.
1. Okay, you know how there are Super Foods that are really healthy and you go out and buy a big pack so that you can use it up? Well I bought a big bag of Chia Seeds because of all the health benefits (it keeps you full for longer, Omega 3 & 6, calcium & iron etc.) and I now need to put it in as many dishes as possible without getting sick of it.
So I found a recipes for chia seed pudding and even drinks with chia seed that has chia seed as the main ingredient, or sprinkled chia seed in your breakfast/lunch bowls sprinkled on your yoghurt pot or morning cereal.Now don’t just just stop at Chia seeds, try other seeds and spices. Turmeric? amazing for you, seeds and nuts in general are full of vitamins and minerals that are just amazing.
2. Now I know that it is mentioned a lot so 8 glasses of water a day. A glass is measure as 250 ml in my tracking app, so that’s half a bottle of water. I keep it on my desk so when I finish my tea and reach for more drink I have a bottle ready. Also for those of you that hate the taste of water (it does have a taste it felt like it was quite strong when I was a kid) try adding some fruit in it. Fresh berries, lemon slices and going back to the above point a tablespoon of chia seed?
3. Try fermented stuff. Kombucha, kimchi, miso, fermented cabbages, fermented lemonade, or even the humble yoghurt.. anything fermented is good for your gut. They have been part of the staple diet in many countries such as Korea, Africa, Japan and now they are gaining popularity everywhere and for a good reason. From providing ‘good bacteria’ or probiotic bacteria in our digestive system to helping us digest more nutrients and vitamins in our body the benefits are endless. Since it helps strengthen our guts it also helps make our immune system more robust. Did I also mention that there are links to your good mood and your gut? So eat a bit more fermented food and fell the good mood coming.
How about trying more international cuisine. It’s better than the boring salad only diet and you get more taste and flavour per meal. Definitely keeps my mood up, looking forward to all the delicious meals.
4. Okay, the health boost thing is taken care of on one side. Now about that going to the gym 3 times a week thing. Now lets be honest, about a month or two in going to a gym becomes either a chore or a part of your routine. Either way it’s nothing to be excited about. Here is the deal. Doing that muscle training, yoga or sprint classes is all good and everything but it gets a bit bland. Have you tried going to classes instead? Not the hits but rather karate, tennis, boulder climbing, boxercise classes and for those that likes the glam a bit more salsa, hip hop or even ballroom dancing? Add a little spice. Try out those classes as well. Why not? It will still count as exercise and even better the minutes should pass you by easily. I found a wall climbing gym near my workplace and I can’t wait to try it out. (Can keep you posted if you want?)
5. Now that we are getting somewhere with those goals, let’s try creating a habit, after all these resolutions are not short term. Theses goals are not short term but rather lifestyle changes you’re going for (at least I am). Give yourself a break. You will miss a class or indulge in one too many drinks, cake, or a pizza. If you fall off the wagon don’t beat yourself too much and just try again. What I do is keep a ‘swear jar’ for falling off the wagon. So now any time you fall off the wagon pop 5 bucks into it. Once you get in the rhythm of good habits at the 3/6/9 month mark treat yourself to a spa or a massage. Going to a massage increases blood circulation and will help you feel just that bit better about trying again and again.
How are you guys on your New Years Resolution? I for one am getting addicted to the chia seed taste and even the meditating bit of my goals this year! So yay! So with those tips I bid you guys adieu!
kisses and hugs,